Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sushi it to me?

Japanese food, being a clean, simple and solemn food, is a beautiful thing. There is something so loud about the only food category we here can claim as Americans: BBQ. It is something of bombs and pools and thirty packs of light beer. It is a thing put on pedestals by those scared of food, ethnic in particular. I will say that Barbeque has a certain allure, and the Koreans sure love it, in their own way, but it is without innovation, excelling only in marinades. I will also say that I am amazing at BBQ. I no longer consume the flesh of land animals, but it is enough to know that I can grill it better than many.

Back to the point. Japanese cuisine. That of vegetable and rice and hammered seaweed. And the occasional recently swimming fish.

We have no fish. We have marinated and fried tempeh, and marinated tofu. Plus carrot, avocado, cucumber and sprouts. Instead of white sticky rice, I am using brown basmati rice, which I overcooked into sticky-dom.

Pictures and taste report to come.
We are also going to accompany the sushi with either Hitchcock or Coen Brothers.
Notorious? Or, Raising Arizona?
Hmmmm...

-------------------------------

Raising Arizona. It accompanied the sushi well. As for the sushi, well, I forgot to take pictures. But, they were fairly attractive and extremely edible.
They did not look like this though:

Our sushi lacked a certain Jackie Chan-ness.
It was a bit more bite-sized. Almost exactly like this, but with a different hand:

No comments:

Post a Comment