Monday, October 19, 2009

The Completed Meal


    With my hunger in check now, and my head a little more firmly attached to the rest of me, I am able to celebrate a minor accomplishment. Shiro Wot. What it became though more resembles refried beans. Thus, the accoutrements are rather Mexican. Lettuce, tomato (heirloom I might add), avocado and cheese. All on corn and wheat tortillas.
      Now, this is a minor accomplishment, as I note. The texture was great. It was spicy (which is positive if it were only me I were cooking for). The berbere was missing something maybe. Or I should have used tomato paste like the nice Ethiopian lady told me. I don't know. I like it, not love it. 


My Shiro Wot
  • Handful or so Shiro Flour Mix from Zuma Ethiopian Grocery (which includes their own berbere spice)
  • Water
  • Small spoonful or two Niter Kibbeh (spiced Ethiopian butter) or olive oil to saute
  • Quarter of a medium onion, finely minced
  • Three to seven cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2-1 cup diced tomato
  • Salt and pepper as needed 
Extraneous ingredient to add if wanted for texture or just if you like said ingredient:
  • Tempeh or small cut potato or tofu or something else other than these things
     You want to mix the Shiro flour (chickpea flour) in a bowl with enough water to make it the consistency you want. You can mix berbere into the flour before this if you have berbere, or mix it in when it is cooking. If you don't have berbere, look it up and try to make something similar with the spices you have. Then you want to add the onion and garlic to a hot skillet with the oil or butter. Cook it down for a few minutes. Add tomatoes. Few more minutes. Add shiro mixture. Stir together, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes on low heat, checking on it occasionally. If it is too thick, add water. Too thin, add more flour. Salt and pepper to taste. Beyond this, if you taste it and it needs something, add a little of something. Maybe some honey. Or balsamic vinegar. Or soy sauce. I added some ginger powder and ground coriander among other things. Make it yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment