Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ants again.

        I have been watching, on youtube, several David Attenborough videos as of late, about various animals and plants, but close-up and with David Attenborough's voice. They are great. This one falls into the familiar realm of ants, but mixed this time with the realm of fungi. Cordyceps, the mushroom involved in the following clip, is apparently also very humanly beneficial. As wikipedia is concerned, a specific type of Cordyceps, cordycepin, is used to make a pharmaceutical drug. "ciclosporin — a drug helpful in human organ transplants, as it suppresses the immune system." It seems that it also might have use as an anti-depressant, although I think that there may already be some mushrooms that claim that honor. Anyway, enjoy this beautiful video.

2 comments:

  1. Ok Sean, yes it is beautifully shot, but not a video for me to watch while I eat my breakfast (as I was doing). It kind of creeped me a out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you mean the bowl that is still on the counter, a little puddle of milk unconsumed? Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete